Aquis will be like nothing ever before seen in Australia and will bring the attention of the world to North Queensland. It will be Australia’s only genuine, world-class integrated resort.
Aquis is intended to attract substantial tourism visitation from both the international market and domestic market. Aquis will compete on the world stage for international and domestic tourists for the benefit of the whole North Queensland community. The contemporary model of world-class, fully-integrated ‘mega resorts’ was first developed in Macau and is being implemented in a host of Asian destinations, including Singapore and the Philippines. For Queensland (and in particular North Queensland) to compete in this international market Aquis needs to provide a high-class international standard, with multi-faceted and diverse tourism facilities. North Queensland can win the battle for the international tourism dollar with an asset like Aquis.
Queensland, and in particular North Queensland, has a once-in-a-generation opportunity to take advantage of the substantial near term growth expected in outbound Chinese tourism and to position North Queensland as a tourism leader within the region. The opportunity is not limited to China however, and it is envisaged that Aquis will attract significant tourism visitation from all over the world. The key to North Queensland securing all the benefits that Aquis offers is to move quickly and with certainty, such that Aquis can become this leader in the region, and attract a whole host of new opportunities as quickly as possible.
- 3,750 hotel rooms across 9 luxury hotel brands;
- 1,180 managed apartments;
- 130 managed villas;
- an international class casino;
- one of the world’s largest aquariums;
- 13,500sqm of high-end retail shopping;
- a 25,000 seat sports stadium;
- a 45,000sqm convention and exhibition centre;
- a 20Ha reef lagoon;
- 2 x 2,500 seat theatres;
- a cultural heritage centre; and
- an 18 hole championship golf course.
- Total construction investment $4.2 billion (in current dollar terms);
- Direct provision for 9300 full time jobs per annum (and indirectly a total of 16,600 per annum) during construction;
- Direct provision for 10,000 full time jobs per annum (and indirectly a total of 26,700 per annum) once operational;
- Total cumulative Gross State Product during construction $3.4 billion;
- Annual Gross State Product $1.15 billion during construction; and
- Annual Gross State Product $2 billion once operational.